[twdev] [TW5] Getting the tw5visjs plugin to work again.
Jon Richter
2014-12-04 17:20:37 UTC
Dear TiddlyWiki dev community,

I feel reliefed by the existence of the tw5visjs plugin [1] as it allows me
to easily create selfhosted timelines with a web interface.

Unfortunately it's only known to work up until TW5.0.9-beta [2]
But there are voices who state it should only be a minor change in the
filter syntax [3].

Could anyone draw me into the right direction to have it running with
latest TW5 again?

I intend to donate a PR (or fork at least) within the 24 Pull Requests [4]
initiative.

Thanks alot,

Jon

[1] https://github.com/emkayonline/tw5visjs
[2] https://github.com/emkayonline/tw5visjs/issues/1
[3] https://twitter.com/TiddlyWiki/status/507066529494863872
[4] http://24pullrequests.com/
Jeremy Ruston
2014-12-05 20:25:12 UTC
Hi Jon

Awesome. Felix KÃŒppers has recently released the "taskgraph" plugin that
also uses vis.js:

http://wkpr.de/hosting/tmp/tw5/taskgraph/
Post by Jon Richter
Could anyone draw me into the right direction to have it running with
latest TW5 again?

I believe that the issue was the filter changes here:

http://tiddlywiki.com/#Changes%20to%20filters%20in%205.0.9-beta

Best wishes

Jeremy.
mailto:***@gmail.com
Felix Küppers
2014-12-05 20:56:25 UTC
Hi Jeremy,

thanks for mentioning the plugin :)

Just wanted to say, I have been very busy with working on it the last days
and I will release a new version next week with a lot of (internal) changes.

So I hope nobody uses taskgraph already in production (except danielo :) as
some things may break in the next version (or need manual readjustments
then), though I try to avoid this. In any case, its still beta!

Regards
Felix
Danielo Rodríguez
2014-12-06 12:04:59 UTC
Post by Felix Küppers
So I hope nobody uses taskgraph already in production (except danielo :)
as some things may break in the next version (or need manual readjustments
then), though I try to avoid this. In any case, its still beta!
Should I feel mentioned :P

Can't wait to see it !!
Joerg Plewe
2014-12-08 10:42:14 UTC
Hi Felix!

I'm pretty new to TW, but I find Taskgraph not working with 5.1.5?

Internal JavaScript Error
Well, this is embarrassing. It is recommended that you restart TiddlyWiki
by refreshing your browser
TypeError: curViewTObj is not a function

My fault?

Kind regards,

. Jörg
Felix Küppers
2014-12-08 12:14:22 UTC
Hi Jörg,

I'm pretty new to TW, but I find Taskgraph not working with 5.1.5?
Well, this is embarrassing :)
Especially since 5.1.5 is the only version it should work with (5.1.4 is
not supported) :)

Maybe try the demo with another browser?

I am doing a rework of taskgraph at the moment which will be out this week.
I am sure, this bug will be fixed by then. I will post updates in this
forum. If the bug still exists with the new version, I would be glad if you
could inform me then.

Felix
Joerg Plewe
2014-12-08 12:30:37 UTC
Hi Felix.

It tried with Firefox and Chrome with the same result. Here is what I did:

* download a fresh 5.1.5 from tiddlywiki.com
* open http://wkpr.de/hosting/tmp/tw5/taskgraph/
* there, open settings->plugins
* drag the vis.js and taskgraph plugin over to my TW5 window
* there press import, save+reload
* open tab Taskgraph .... bum

Still pretty sure its my fault due to my poor understanding of TW mechanics.

. Jörg
Hi Jörg,
Felix Küppers
2014-12-08 13:08:50 UTC
Hi Jörg,

what you did is absolutely correct. I looked at the debug (just open
firebug and restart your wiki) and it is clearly my fault.

The demo is set to a view called "component" per default. however, the view
doesn't exist anymore when you copy the plugin from the demo site.
You can fix this by

opening the tiddler

$:/plugins/felixhayashi/taskgraph/defaultGraphViewHolder

and change the line

$:/plugins/felixhayashi/taskgraph/graph/views/components

$:/plugins/felixhayashi/taskgraph/graph/views/default

(no newline!)

Please do not use the plugin (in production) yet as heavy modifications are
going on at the moment.

Hope it helps

Felix
Ton Gerner
2014-12-05 21:15:48 UTC
@Jon, @Jeremy,

A small correction: the tw5visjs plugin did work up to and including
TW5.0.10-beta. I'm sure since I do have a working TWTW5.0.10-beta with this
plugin.

Cheers,

Ton
Tobias Beer
2014-12-06 23:02:01 UTC
Post by Jeremy Ruston
http://tiddlywiki.com/#Changes%20to%20filters%20in%205.0.9-beta
<javascript:>
Didn't consider doing that yet but I feel like it's a worthwhile exercise
to read through the release notes for once,
I think that's going to clarify a lot of terminology and what things came
after which.

Best wishes, Tobias.
kixam
2015-05-07 09:38:22 UTC
Hi,
Post by Jon Richter
Could anyone draw me into the right direction to have it running with
latest TW5 again?
I am using emkay's plugin rather than felixhayashi's because I need the
timeline and not the graph from vis.js.

I have been fixing it for myself to have it work with newer versions of
TW5, but lately I became ashamed of such selfishness so I forked Jeremy's
fork and added my own fixes at https://github.com/kixam/tw5visjs. I do not
now how to distribute compiled/packaged version to non-developer users
though.
Felix Küppers
2015-05-07 09:52:59 UTC
Hi Kixam,

you don't need to install tiddlymap if you just want to use the visjs
library with nodejs just go to
https://github.com/felixhayashi/TW5-Vis.js and grab the stuff in the
"dist" folder. to drag and drop the plugin, visit the tiddlymap demo
site and just drag the visjs plugin into your wiki.

-Felix
Hi,
kixam
2015-05-07 10:18:30 UTC
Hi Felix,
Post by Felix Küppers
Hi Kixam,
you don't need to install tiddlymap if you just want to use the visjs
library with nodejs just go to https://github.com/felixhayashi/TW5-Vis.js
and grab the stuff in the "dist" folder. to drag and drop the plugin, visit
the tiddlymap demo site and just drag the visjs plugin into your wiki.
Thank you for your reply.

I saw your vis.js plugin but I did not find any integration of vis.js
timeline (like a TW macro) in it, so I still need emkay's plugin for my
purposes. I have considered using it as a dependency for a time, but it
does not include vis.css which is required for timeline.

I debugged emkay's plugin in node.js because it is a lot more convenient
for development, but I use a standalone HTML file to log my everyday work
because it is a lot more convenient in production (e.g. I duplicate the
file across several devices on which I do not want to have a node.js
environment; I do not want to risk loosing data while debugging; ...).

Of course it would be great if you/we could integrate emkay's (or your own
fresh) timeline plugin into your own suite:
1. include vis.css into TW5-Vis.js
2. modify emkay's plugin to be dependent on the TW5-Vis.js or, create a new
TW5-visTimeline plugin

What do you think?
Felix Küppers
2015-05-07 10:39:06 UTC
Hi Kixam,
Post by kixam
I saw your vis.js plugin but I did not find any integration of vis.js
timeline (like a TW macro) in it, so I still need emkay's plugin for
my purposes.
It contains the visjs timeline module but of course it does not come
with any tiddlywiki macro like the one emkay developed.
Post by kixam
I have considered using it as a dependency for a time, but it does not
include vis.css which is required for timeline.
I double checked and it comes with vis.css and all images are referenced
in vis.css as well. Otherwise, my tiddlymap plugin wouldn't work :)

see
https://github.com/felixhayashi/TW5-Vis.js/tree/master/dist/felixhayashi/vis/tiddlers
Post by kixam
I debugged emkay's plugin in node.js because it is a lot more
convenient for development, but I use a standalone HTML file to log my
everyday work because it is a lot more convenient in production (e.g.
I duplicate the file across several devices on which I do not want to
have a node.js environment; I do not want to risk loosing data while
debugging; ...).
Of course it would be great if you/we could integrate emkay's (or your
1. include vis.css into TW5-Vis.js
2. modify emkay's plugin to be dependent on the TW5-Vis.js or, create
a new TW5-visTimeline plugin
What do you think?
Unfortunately we do not have some kind of plugin dependency mechanism in
tw5. But, if you have the time and motivation, I favour the idea that
emkays plugin is refactored and links to TW5-Vis.js (which I keep up to
date) so code dublication is avoided.

-Felix
kixam
2015-05-07 11:10:54 UTC
Hi Felix,
Post by Felix Küppers
I double checked and it comes with vis.css and all images are referenced
in vis.css as well. Otherwise, my tiddlymap plugin wouldn't work :)
My mistake, I was missing uglifycss so your build.sh script could not
process all it should have.
Post by Felix Küppers
Unfortunately we do not have some kind of plugin dependency mechanism in
tw5.
I got a hit that there is. From your own TiddlyMap plugin's plugin.info:

"dependents": "$:/plugins/felixhayashi/vis",
"depends": "$:/plugins/felixhayashi/vis",

This is what I added to emkay's. I do not know how restrictive it is though.
Post by Felix Küppers
But, if you have the time and motivation, I favour the idea that
emkays plugin is refactored and links to TW5-Vis.js (which I keep up to
date) so code dublication is avoided.
Done and pushed to my fork repository.
Felix Küppers
2015-05-08 13:56:45 UTC
Hi Kixam,
Post by kixam
My mistake, I was missing uglifycss so your build.sh script could not
process all it should have.
Ah, so you are using the build script I wrote :) If you discover a
problem, please report them at github.
Post by kixam

"dependents":"$:/plugins/felixhayashi/vis",
"depends":"$:/plugins/felixhayashi/vis",

No, this is not processed in any way by tiddlywiki. It is just
"information" for the user and maybe it is used in the future by the
core to trackd dependencies.

See also: https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/1345
Post by kixam
This is what I added to emkay's. I do not know how restrictive it is though.
Cannot hurt :)
Post by kixam
Done and pushed to my fork repository.
Nice. Maybe we should rename the vis.js plugin that is currently hosted
at Jeremy's github (https://github.com/Jermolene/tw5visjs) into
something else because it is outdated and does contain more than just
the vis.js library as I host it on my github site

Ton Gerner
2015-05-09 19:15:51 UTC
Hi kixam,

Glad you took the time to fix the emkay plugin.
I downloaded the demo wiki from http://emkayonline.github.io/tw5visjs/ and
it worked as before (clicking demo of the timeline widget works).
Then I saw the TW version was *5.0.9-prerelease*.
After upgrading the demo wiki to 5.1.8 it did not work anymore (clicking
demo of the timeline widget gives the well-known red Javascript error.

Any idea what is going wrong?

Cheers,

Ton
Post by kixam
Hi,
kixam
2015-05-10 09:30:58 UTC
Hi Ton,
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi kixam,
Glad you took the time to fix the emkay plugin.
I downloaded the demo wiki from http://emkayonline.github.io/tw5visjs/
and it worked as before (clicking demo of the timeline widget works).
Then I saw the TW version was *5.0.9-prerelease*.
After upgrading the demo wiki to 5.1.8 it did not work anymore (clicking
demo of the timeline widget gives the well-known red Javascript error.
Any idea what is going wrong?
emkay did not merge my commits to his repository yet, so you have to clone
mine instead: https://github.com/kixam/tw5visjs
Ton Gerner
2015-05-10 14:58:19 UTC
Hi kixam

Thanks for answering.
At first I did not notice the readme at https://github.com/kixam/tw5visjs
was emkay's readme linking to emkay's demo wiki which of course did not
work after upgrading.

Since I do not use the node.js version of TW I tried to make a plugin from
the stuff given at
https://github.com/kixam/tw5visjs/tree/master/plugins/visjs

I performed the following steps:

1) Installed by drag/drop felixhayashi's $:/plugins/felixhayashi/tiddlymap
from http://felixhayashi.github.io/TW5-TiddlyMap/
2) Installed by drag/drop Andreas Hahn's $:/plugins/ahahn/tinka from
http://twguides.org/wiki/tinka.html
3) Created (by copy/paste and adding type and module-type):

- $:/plugins/emkay/visjs/help
- $:/plugins/emkay/visjs/timelinehelp
- $:/plugins/emkay/visjs/timelinewidget.js
- $:/plugins/emkay/visjs/widgetutils.js
- $:/plugins/emkay/visjs/moment.js (= moment-with-locales.min.js from
https://github.com/moment/moment)

4) Created - successfully - a plugin from the 5 tiddlers above with help of
the Tinka plugin
5) Added some demo timeline files
6) Saved and reloaded

And got a red Javascript error: TypeError: moment is not a function.

I noticed tiddlywiki.files in momentsjs contains:

"prefix": "var moment;_save_module_exports =
module.exports;module.exports=true;",
"suffix": "moment = module.exports; module.exports = _save_module_exports;
exports.moment = moment\n"

but I don't know how to "translate" these prefix and suffix into the plugin
(I am not a programmer).

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ton

P.S. May be you can make a demo site at TiddlySpot? Then installing the
timeline plugin can be just a matter of drag and drop.
Post by kixam
Hi Ton,
Felix Küppers
2015-05-10 20:16:43 UTC
Hi Ton, Hi kixam,

just wanted to mention that any plugin-module using the "TW5 visjs
plugin" from my repo (or from the tiddlymap demo site) needs to import
the node module like this:

varvis =require("$:/plugins/felixhayashi/vis/vis.js");

Also installing tiddlymap is not needed when you just want the vis.js
library. Tiddlymap is just a separate plugin that imports the vis js
library.

-Felix

kixam
2015-05-11 07:20:16 UTC
Hi Ton,
Post by Ton Gerner
P.S. May be you can make a demo site at TiddlySpot? Then installing the
timeline plugin can be just a matter of drag and drop.
Here you go:

http://vis.js-timeline.tiddlyspot.com/

PS: it is not possible to upload local tiddlywikis to tiddlyspot.com from
Firefox or Chrome anymore, I had to use Konqueror...
Ton Gerner
2015-05-11 09:03:48 UTC
Hi kixam,
Post by kixam
Hi Ton,
Post by Ton Gerner
P.S. May be you can make a demo site at TiddlySpot? Then installing the
timeline plugin can be just a matter of drag and drop.
http://vis.js-timeline.tiddlyspot.com/
Thanks a lot.
Post by kixam
PS: it is not possible to upload local tiddlywikis to tiddlyspot.com from
Firefox or Chrome anymore, I had to use Konqueror...
Under Windows 7 64-bit I still can use Chrome (v42) to upload TW to
Tiddlyspot. I assume you are using Linux (KDE Konqueror).
May be others can confirm the use of Chrome with Windows, Linux, ...

Cheers,

Ton
kixam
2015-05-11 09:54:35 UTC
Hi Ton,
Post by Ton Gerner
Post by kixam
PS: it is not possible to upload local tiddlywikis to tiddlyspot.com
from Firefox or Chrome anymore, I had to use Konqueror...
Under Windows 7 64-bit I still can use Chrome (v42) to upload TW to
Tiddlyspot. I assume you are using Linux (KDE Konqueror).
May be others can confirm the use of Chrome with Windows, Linux, ...
In my experience, under Linux 64-bit, Firefox 37.0.2 fails to upload a
local tiddlywiki to tiddlyspot with an error, and Chrome 42.0.2311.135
fails silently (both can automatically save local file). On the other hand,
Konqueror 4.14.6 uploads the file to tiddlyspot but cannot handle automatic
saving on top of the local file.

This is well known, according to tiddlyspot website at
http://faq.tiddlyspot.com :

*"in most browsers, you can no longer upload your local TiddlyWiki file to
Tiddlyspot. You need to update your site only while using it online."*
Ton Gerner
2015-05-11 12:03:36 UTC
Hi kixam,
Post by kixam
Hi Ton,
Post by Ton Gerner
Post by kixam
PS: it is not possible to upload local tiddlywikis to tiddlyspot.com
from Firefox or Chrome anymore, I had to use Konqueror...
Under Windows 7 64-bit I still can use Chrome (v42) to upload TW to
Tiddlyspot. I assume you are using Linux (KDE Konqueror).
May be others can confirm the use of Chrome with Windows, Linux, ...
In my experience, under Linux 64-bit, Firefox 37.0.2 fails to upload a
local tiddlywiki to tiddlyspot with an error, and Chrome 42.0.2311.135
fails silently (both can automatically save local file). On the other hand,
Konqueror 4.14.6 uploads the file to tiddlyspot but cannot handle automatic
saving on top of the local file.
This is well known, according to tiddlyspot website at
*"in most browsers, you can no longer upload your local TiddlyWiki file to
Tiddlyspot. You need to update your site only while using it online."*
http://tiddlywiki.com/#Saving on TiddlySpot:[[Saving on TiddlySpot]]
mentions problems with Firefox, but Chrome does work.
I tried a few hours ago with Chrome following the procedure given at
http://tiddlywiki.com/#Saving on TiddlySpot:[[Saving on TiddlySpot]] and it
still works under Windows (Firefox never worked with TW5 AFAIK).
May be raise a ticket at Github?

Cheers,

Ton
Måns
2015-05-12 05:25:20 UTC
Hi kixam & Ton

This: <$visjstimeline filter="[tag[note]]" startDateField="created"
endDateField="modified" format="YYYYMMDDHHMMSSmmm"/>
sort of works - There are however some errors even if some tiddlers are
rendered as elements on the timeline.

Can't I use created date as a startDateField and modified as endDateField
to capture when a tiddler (tagged with "note") was created and modified?
Is the problem that some tiddlers that were created may not have a modified
date - because they haven't been modified yet?

Cheers MÃ¥ns MÃ¥rtensson
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi kixam,
Post by kixam
Hi Ton,
Måns
kixam
2015-05-12 16:17:03 UTC
Hi MÃ¥ns,
Post by MÃ¥ns
This: <$visjstimeline filter="[tag[note]]" startDateField="created"
endDateField="modified" format="YYYYMMDDHHMMSSmmm"/>
sort of works - There are however some errors even if some tiddlers are
rendered as elements on the timeline.
Can't I use created date as a startDateField and modified as endDateField
to capture when a tiddler (tagged with "note") was created and modified?
Is the problem that some tiddlers that were created may not have a
modified date - because they haven't been modified yet?
I found that the timeline widget is very sensitive regarding start and end
dates. Like you, I had problems when I tried to create a timeline using a
end date field that did not exist in all filtered tiddlers. My solution was
to create end fields for those tiddlers, and duplicate the start field
value into the end field. It is not enough that both start and end fields
exist for all filtered tiddlers, they must also contain a valid date at the
specified format, and the end date must be the same or later than the start
date, otherwise you get error messages.

I do not know if the "modified" field is created with the tiddler, or if it
contains the creation date initially.
Ton Gerner
2015-05-12 19:19:49 UTC
Hi kixam & MÃ¥ns,

The format "YYYYMMDD" works but "YYYYMMDDHHMMSSmmm" (the format used by
"created" and "modified") does not work.
Since "created" and "modified" are standard fields of a tiddler, I thought
it should work.

Striking is: there are only errors for startDate and *not* for endDate in
MÃ¥ns image of the error messages (except when end date is before start
date). Or maybe when encountering an error in startDate is does not check
endDate anymore?

If I use my own "start" and "end" fields instead of "created" and
"modified" I get the same errors. So I think it has nothing to do with the
"created" and "modified" fields.

Maybe a mismatch between the time-date formats of TW5 and moments.js?

Cheers,

Ton
Post by kixam
Hi MÃ¥ns,
Måns
2015-05-12 20:07:50 UTC
Hi kixam and Ton

Funny thing is:
As you could see on my screenshot two tiddlers actually got accepted - and
were shown in the time line.

If
1) I copy the created date of one of those tiddlers
2) Open one of the not accepted tiddler
3) Create a "created" field and input the copied created field value into
it's value field
4) Click "create" and the value-pair dissapears (it *is* created/edited
though)
5) Now the tiddler *will* be accepted....

To me this indicates that the more involved date string *is* accepted in
the first place...

Very weird indeed....

Cheers MÃ¥ns MÃ¥rtensson
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi kixam & MÃ¥ns,
The format "YYYYMMDD" works but "YYYYMMDDHHMMSSmmm" (the format used by
"created" and "modified") does not work.
Since "created" and "modified" are standard fields of a tiddler, I thought
it should work.
Striking is: there are only errors for startDate and *not* for endDate in
MÃ¥ns image of the error messages (except when end date is before start
date). Or maybe when encountering an error in startDate is does not check
endDate anymore?
If I use my own "start" and "end" fields instead of "created" and
"modified" I get the same errors. So I think it has nothing to do with the
"created" and "modified" fields.
Maybe a mismatch between the time-date formats of TW5 and moments.js?
Cheers,
Ton
Post by kixam
Hi MÃ¥ns,
Måns
2015-05-12 20:15:41 UTC
@Ton

Have you tried to use this format: YYYY-MM-DD for your own start end
fields?
It seems to work ok for me.

Still I would love to be able to make it show the span of time from a
tiddler was created untill it was last modified

Maybe a macro could do the conversion from YYYYMMDDHHMMSSmmm to YYYY-MM-DD
and input the result as start end parameters in the timeline macro call??

Cheers MÃ¥ns MÃ¥rtensson
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi kixam & MÃ¥ns,
The format "YYYYMMDD" works but "YYYYMMDDHHMMSSmmm" (the format used by
"created" and "modified") does not work.
Since "created" and "modified" are standard fields of a tiddler, I thought
it should work.
Striking is: there are only errors for startDate and *not* for endDate in
MÃ¥ns image of the error messages (except when end date is before start
date). Or maybe when encountering an error in startDate is does not check
endDate anymore?
If I use my own "start" and "end" fields instead of "created" and
"modified" I get the same errors. So I think it has nothing to do with the
"created" and "modified" fields.
Maybe a mismatch between the time-date formats of TW5 and moments.js?
Cheers,
Ton
Post by kixam
Hi MÃ¥ns,
Ton Gerner
2015-05-12 20:39:49 UTC
Hi MÃ¥ns,

I was not totally clear in my last post, so I edited it:

*If I use my own "start" and "end" fields instead of "created" and
"modified" with "YYYYMMDDHHMMSSmmm" I get the same errors.*

Normally I use "YYYYMMDD" which works (so I did not have any errors).

Strange that 2 of your tiddlers were accepted. Do they have special
date/time strings in comparison with the others?

Cheers,

Ton
Post by Ton Gerner
Hi kixam & MÃ¥ns,
The format "YYYYMMDD" works but "YYYYMMDDHHMMSSmmm" (the format used by
"created" and "modified") does not work.
Since "created" and "modified" are standard fields of a tiddler, I
thought it should work.
Striking is: there are only errors for startDate and *not* for endDate in
MÃ¥ns image of the error messages (except when end date is before start
date). Or maybe when encountering an error in startDate is does not check
endDate anymore?
If I use my own "start" and "end" fields instead of "created" and
"modified" I get the same errors. So I think it has nothing to do with the
"created" and "modified" fields.
Maybe a mismatch between the time-date formats of TW5 and moments.js?
Cheers,
Ton
Post by kixam
Hi MÃ¥ns,
Måns
2015-05-12 21:03:09 UTC
Hi Ton
Post by Ton Gerner
Strange that 2 of your tiddlers were accepted. Do they have special
date/time strings in comparison with the others?
No - I don't think so...- it's very weird...

This is my testsite : http://xn--mns-ula.dk/kinabog/#Demonstration

Cheers MÃ¥ns MÃ¥rtensson
kixam
2015-05-21 09:34:25 UTC
Hi,

I made some further improvements:
- if you pass over items or group boxes with the mouse, their titles will
appear (useful for big groups, or ranged items that are too short relative
to time scale)
- if item or group tiddler has a color field, it will be used to render the
item
- if used instead of the groupField tag, the new groupTags field will group
all tiddlers having the first listed title as a tag

the update is available at http://vis.js-timeline.tiddlyspot.com/
Felix Küppers
2015-05-21 10:03:01 UTC
Nicely done Kixam!

Were you able to contact Emkay about the original code's license? I
couldn't find any license information on his github repo.
Also, if you take over his project (because it looks like he abandoned
it and you are willing to deploy it), maybe you could inform him and
rename the plugin into something like "TW5-Timeline" or similar (taking
over his project depends on the license he assigned to his work). If he
doesn't know, which license to assign to his work BSD 3-clause or
2-clause would be optimal in combination with Tiddlywiki (which has also
a BSD license), also Apache or MIT is fine.

-Felix
Hi,
kixam
2015-05-21 16:02:35 UTC
Hi,
Post by Felix Küppers
Were you able to contact Emkay about the original code's license? I
couldn't find any license information on his github repo.
Nope. I did not try this hard, though. Just a pending pull request.
Post by Felix Küppers
Also, if you take over his project (because it looks like he abandoned it
and you are willing to deploy it), maybe you could inform him and rename
the plugin into something like "TW5-Timeline" or similar (taking over his
project depends on the license he assigned to his work). If he doesn't
know, which license to assign to his work BSD 3-clause or 2-clause would be
optimal in combination with Tiddlywiki (which has also a BSD license), also
Apache or MIT is fine.
Initially, I planned to do that, but I thought most of the work was made by
emkay, and it would be easier for his fans to follow up if my updates were
just that: updates. And not a completely new project. Which would not be
new at all.

Honestly, I did not think about license issues. I do not know about emkay
code, I assumed he would agree someone would modify it since it is all
freely available and forkable on github, how candid of me. As for my code,
I clearly give it to the community. I am more familiar with GPL, but BSD
seems fine too.

I do not know if I want to be more involved than that for the moment, like
taking the responsibility to maintain a plugin, manage licenses,
documentation, source comments, and all. I am just a simple user who
happens to have some computer skills.

In the meantime, I made other updates this afternoon (download from same
place):
- groups are now clickable
- timeline is bounded within a nicely sized box
- error messages are displayed in a popup instead of statically above the
timeline
- time axis is extended a bit before the soonest and after the latest items
so that these do not appear on the border
- I improved my layout tweaks a bit
- I added an icon to the plugin
Felix Küppers
2015-05-21 17:33:27 UTC
Hi kixam,
Post by kixam
Initially, I planned to do that, but I thought most of the work was
made by emkay, and it would be easier for his fans to follow up if my
updates were just that: updates.
I strongly agree. But it seems that he is not reacting at all and it
would be sad if such a great plugin gets abandoned.
Post by kixam
And not a completely new project. Which would not be new at all.
Emkay named his project vis.js which is not suitable imo because visjs
is the actual library. This is why a new name would make sense.
Post by kixam
Honestly, I did not think about license issues. I do not know about
emkay code, I assumed he would agree someone would modify it since it
is all freely available and forkable on github, how candid of me.
While I think Emkay wanted to freely share his plugin and the code. I
think this needs to be solved in any case :(
Post by kixam
As for my code, I clearly give it to the community. I am more familiar
with GPL, but BSD seems fine too.
GPL is copy left which may prevent the project from spreading.
Tiddlywiki itself is less strict with its BSD license. But do as you wish :)
Post by kixam
I do not know if I want to be more involved than that for the moment,
like taking the responsibility to maintain a plugin, manage licenses,
documentation, source comments, and all. I am just a simple user who
happens to have some computer skills.
No pressure from my side! :)
Post by kixam
In the meantime, I made other updates this afternoon (download from
- groups are now clickable
- timeline is bounded within a nicely sized box
- error messages are displayed in a popup instead of statically above
the timeline
- time axis is extended a bit before the soonest and after the latest
items so that these do not appear on the border
- I improved my layout tweaks a bit
- I added an icon to the plugin
Nice
kixam
2015-05-21 21:50:52 UTC
Hi Felix,
Post by Felix Küppers
Emkay named his project vis.js which is not suitable imo because visjs
is the actual library. This is why a new name would make sense.
Here goes...

- "new" project repo: https://github.com/kixam/TW5-visjsTimeline
- new detached plugin repo: https://github.com/kixam/TW5-moment.js
- new demo/install page: http://kixam.github.io/TW5-visjsTimeline

I hope I got everything right... please tell me otherwise.
Post by Felix Küppers
While I think Emkay wanted to freely share his plugin and the code. I
think this needs to be solved in any case :(
I selected BSD #2 for my code (blindly trusted you...), but no sign from
emkay regarding his...
Post by Felix Küppers
No pressure from my side! :)
None taken, I had fun!

PS: FYI vis.js 3.12.0 is out
Felix Küppers
2015-05-22 11:31:11 UTC
Hi kixam,

great stuff!
Post by kixam
Here goes...
- "new" project repo: https://github.com/kixam/TW5-visjsTimeline
- new detached plugin repo: https://github.com/kixam/TW5-moment.js
- new demo/install page: http://kixam.github.io/TW5-visjsTimeline
I hope I got everything right... please tell me otherwise.
Your demo looks really nice. I registered myself on your plugin's watch
list to stay informed :)
Post by kixam
While I think Emkay wanted to freely share his plugin and the code. I
think this needs to be solved in any case :(
I selected BSD #2 for my code (blindly trusted you...),
:)
Post by kixam
but no sign from emkay regarding his...
I now tried to email emkay privately...
Post by kixam
No pressure from my side! :)
None taken, I had fun!
cool
Post by kixam
PS: FYI vis.js 3.12.0 is out
Thanks, I updated the repo! The guys at vis.js are heavily working on
4.0 which will bring many improvements but also come with some API
changes...

-Felix
kixam
2015-05-23 22:46:43 UTC
Hi Felix,
Post by kixam
PS: FYI vis.js 3.12.0 is out
Thanks, I updated the repo! The guys at vis.js are heavily working on 4.0
which will bring many improvements but also come with some API changes...
Later the same day, vis.js 4.0.0 was released... I made some preliminary
tests on timeline localization, and it seems to work better than before (at
least out of tiddlywiki). I would like to implement it in the timeline
plugin.
Felix Küppers
2015-05-24 09:31:58 UTC
Hi Kixam,

I am very happy that they released 4.0 and I want to use it as well :)
but here is the problem: I'll need some time to update TiddlyMap because
much of the vis api changed. This means, I cannot update to 4.0 right
away. If you decide to go with 4.0 right away, a user that wants to run
TW5-TiddlyMap and TW5-visjsTimeline will be facing big js errors since
both plugins then expect different vis versions.

Would it be ok for you, if I update vis.js to 4.0 in a month? So I have
enough time to fix TiddlyMap and also I am sure the guys at vis.js will
release a whole bunch of patches/bugfixes in that period as well?

-Felix
Post by kixam
Hi Felix,
kixam
2015-05-24 10:37:39 UTC
Hi Felix,
Post by Felix Küppers
Would it be ok for you, if I update vis.js to 4.0 in a month? So I have
enough time to fix TiddlyMap and also I am sure the guys at vis.js will
release a whole bunch of patches/bugfixes in that period as well?
I adapted my plugin to 4.0.0 this morning... there are quite some changes
indeed. But I sure can wait before I push to the repo - or at least before
I update the demo website.
I forked your vis.js plugin and posted a pull request, but this can wait
too...

The only feature I feel is missing now on my plugin is localization, but I
think it might not very urgent for the community to have it. Anyway, I
still do not understand how I will make it work yet...
Also, in the future, I would like the timeline to be editable, but it seems
quite difficult. I might need time too...
Felix Küppers
2015-05-24 10:53:47 UTC
Hi kixam,
Post by kixam
I adapted my plugin to 4.0.0 this morning... there are quite some
changes indeed. But I sure can wait before I push to the repo - or at
least before I update the demo website.
That would be great
Post by kixam
I forked your vis.js plugin and posted a pull request, but this can
wait too...
Just saw it and replied there ;)
Post by kixam
The only feature I feel is missing now on my plugin is localization,
but I think it might not very urgent for the community to have it.
Anyway, I still do not understand how I will make it work yet...
Vis.js offers localization but it becomes complex when considering that
TW has its own (modulized) way of dealing with languages. Not that easy
and I haven't tackled this problem yet.
Post by kixam
Also, in the future, I would like the timeline to be editable, but it
seems quite difficult. I might need time too...
Yes it is :D If you look at tiddlymap, it is offers quite a lot
customization dialogs but really took some time to build it and yet in
many cases, it is not optimal imo. If you need help at some point, just
include me in your repo discussion.

-Felix
Danielo Rodríguez
2015-05-21 22:35:21 UTC
Hello Kixam,

Awesome work, thank you very much.
For me the old project name confused me: It was called vis.js but I was
only seeing a timeline, and I did not saw the relationship. For me the new
name is much better. I also like to see that you have adopted a modular way
of doing things.

Here are some questions:
Could you please explain me what is the "global" square at the very left
side?
Why is the groupA tiddler included in the graph?
Is it possible to zoom in/out?

The plugin seems to do weird things if you shrink the page enough, please
take a look at the screenshot.

Thanks!!
Regards
kixam
2015-05-22 07:34:49 UTC
Hi Danielo,
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
Could you please explain me what is the "global" square at the very left
side?
If you use groups in vis.js, then all items must be grouped, or they will
not be displayed. So, if some tiddlers do not have any group, e.g.
groupField is empty / none of their tags is listed in groupTags, the plugin
will put them in an arbitrary group called "Global", so that they can be
displayed anyway.
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
Why is the groupA tiddler included in the graph?
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aPsW-EwYCFc/VV5doO1QgwI/AAAAAAAAMs0/J_2L6zF045I/s1600/TW_timeline.PNG>

In my case, the "Group A" tiddler exists (it must, in order to be a tag for
other tiddlers), and it matches the default filtering, which is
"[!is[system]]". Please fell free to try and edit the Demonstration
tiddler, and test your own filters and other settings.
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
Is it possible to zoom in/out?
Yes, by scrolling in/out with your mouse. I did not test touch screens, I
assume it would work by "pinching" with two fingers, but anyway this
functionality is provided by vis.js, not the plugin.
I am thinking of using the nice nav buttons from felixhayashi's tiddlymap
though, but first I would rather they would be included in the vis.js
plugin instead, if possible. I may look into it but it seems not very easy.
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
The plugin seems to do weird things if you shrink the page enough, please
take a look at the screenshot.
I can see your screenshot but please describe what is weird to you? The
timeline will fit/stretch within a pre-sized box, as so:
- if it is in a tiddler, the box is 100% available width (within tiddler)
and 300px height;
- if it is on the sidebar, the box is 100% available width (within
sidebar), and its height is adjusted to fit/stretch below the sidebar tabs
and above the bottom of the screen
=> if you have too many items to show, you might have to scroll the
timeline up and down (hold click/touch, and move mouse/finger around)
=> if there are not many items, the timeline will be mainly empty on its
top part (like on your screenshot), but at least it will not resize when
you navigate it to a position where there are more items to show, which I
found very annoying and counter-productive.

if you resize the screen after timeline is shown, I cannot predict what
happens to your zooming, this must be handled by vis.js itself. I can apply
nice zoom settings only when creating the timeline, otherwise it would
reset your settings all the time.
Ton Gerner
2015-05-22 11:17:32 UTC
Hi kixam,

First of all I am very glad the plugin is actively developed at the moment;
many thanks.

Experimenting with v0.9.4 I noticed a difference with v0.9.2.

In v0.9.2 the height of the timeline graph is automatically adjusted to the
data to be shown in the given time slot. The height expands automatically
when more date must be shown (as in emkay's original plugin).
In v0.9.4 the height is fixed (300 px in a separate tiddler; in the sidebar
dependent on the 'height' available) so you have to scroll up/down to see
all data in the given time slot. Since there is no indication that there is
more data in the given time slot it is easy to miss that data. See the
difference in attached images.

Is it possible:
* to make the height configurable? With choice of automatic or a given
height. At the moment it is hard coded in timelinewidget.js.
* to give an indication when there is more data than shown? I am not a fan
of a (vertical) scroll bar but at least that gives the indication needed.

Cheers,

Ton
Post by kixam
Hi Danielo,
kixam
2015-05-22 13:01:28 UTC
Post by Ton Gerner
In v0.9.2 the height of the timeline graph is automatically adjusted to
the data to be shown in the given time slot. The height expands
automatically when more date must be shown (as in emkay's original plugin).
In v0.9.4 the height is fixed (300 px in a separate tiddler; in the
sidebar dependent on the 'height' available) so you have to scroll up/down
to see all data in the given time slot. Since there is no indication that
there is more data in the given time slot it is easy to miss that data. See
the difference in attached images.
Exactly what I intended.
Post by Ton Gerner
* to make the height configurable? With choice of automatic or a given
height. At the moment it is hard coded in timelinewidget.js.
Fair enough to give it as an option. I will look at the feasibility.

However, can you comment the following:
- I can understand someone could want a tiddler to be as long as needed,
but do you really want to scroll down the sidebar?
- automatic size means the size will change when you move around and zoom,
which will incur 2 things I did not like on emkay's implementation:
- the items you were looking at before moving sideways, move up/down on
their own as more/less items get in the time range, sometimes they get out
of view even. It is sometimes a hassle to find where they went, much so
when you cannot scroll easily without risking to actually change the zoom
and thus make the items move more (I must be clumsy). At least, with a
fixed boxing, your item stays put, even if it is shown on the bottom of the
timeline (which can move a lot otherwise).
- the same timeline can be only a few dozen pixels long, then several
pages long, in just a few scrolls. wow. If you place your mouse
inadvertently on the timeline while scrolling down to see what is below,
you might actually change the zoom again... (I'm still clumsy)
Post by Ton Gerner
* to give an indication when there is more data than shown? I am not a fan
of a (vertical) scroll bar but at least that gives the indication needed.
Actually, there is a slight shadow on the top (or bottom, if you move
upwards) if you have items that are not shown. But that might not be
enough. I propose to display this information more clearly with the nav
buttons, or maybe on the background.
Ton Gerner
2015-05-22 16:23:45 UTC
Hi kixam,
Post by kixam
- I can understand someone could want a tiddler to be as long as needed,
but do you really want to scroll down the sidebar?
I am talking about a separate tiddler (not tagged with $:/tags/SideBar). In
my case I only show the tiddler containing the timeline graph and even hide
the sidebar so I maximize the display area.
For me the sidebar area is too small to display my timeline.
Post by kixam
- automatic size means the size will change when you move around and zoom,
- the items you were looking at before moving sideways, move up/down on
their own as more/less items get in the time range, sometimes they get out
of view even.
Yes, the height is dependent on the on the number of items in the time
range but AFAIK they never get out of view (at least I never noticed that).
With a fixed height some items will get out of view for sure.
Post by kixam
At least, with a fixed boxing, your item stays put, even if it is shown on
the bottom of the timeline (which can move a lot otherwise).
That is true.
But if you can choose between an automatic mode and a - configurable -
height, it is up to the user how it will be displayed.
At the moment I prefer the automatic way and stay with v0.9.2 for the time
being.
Post by kixam
Actually, there is a slight shadow on the top (or bottom, if you move
upwards) if you have items that are not shown. But that might not be
enough. I propose to display this information more clearly with the nav
buttons, or maybe on the background.
To be honest I did not notice that slight shadow. May be you can make it
configurable too, e.g. as part of styles.css.

I noticed some strange things with titles in the timeline graph.
In v0.9.2 the titles are left aligned in the item box or - when they scroll
out of view at the left - left-aligned to the graph window. But the titles
are always *in* the item box. In extreme cases (left/right) you see only
the last/first characters of the title.

In v0.9.4 the titles are centered when the item boxes are totally visible
but when part of the item scrolls out of view the title does not stay in
the box. In extreme cases the title can be to the right of the item box (I
haven't seen it to the left).
Or the title scrolls out of view.

The attached images show what happens.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Ton
kixam
2015-05-23 21:25:09 UTC
Hi Ton,
Post by kixam
the bottom of the timeline (which can move a lot otherwise).
That is true.
But if you can choose between an automatic mode and a - configurable -
height, it is up to the user how it will be displayed.
At the moment I prefer the automatic way and stay with v0.9.2 for the time
being.
I added an option to let you choose.
Post by kixam
Post by kixam
Actually, there is a slight shadow on the top (or bottom, if you move
upwards) if you have items that are not shown. But that might not be
enough. I propose to display this information more clearly with the nav
buttons, or maybe on the background.
To be honest I did not notice that slight shadow. May be you can make it
configurable too, e.g. as part of styles.css.
Actually it is already, like all of vis.js. You could add a CSS tiddler of
your own and change whatever you (don't) like... to get you started:
http://visjs.org/docs/timeline/#Styles and
http://tiddlywiki.com/#Using%20Stylesheets

For convenience, I added an option to display a navigation pad similar to
this for vis.js networks. If the navpad is present, its "up" and "down"
buttons will only show when appropriate. This was quite some reverse
engineering as I expected, and I am not satisfied with the result because
it tweaks vis.js too much and thus might become buggy in the next releases,
but enjoy for now.
Post by kixam
I noticed some strange things with titles in the timeline graph.
In v0.9.2 the titles are left aligned in the item box or - when they
scroll out of view at the left - left-aligned to the graph window. But the
titles are always *in* the item box. In extreme cases (left/right) you see
only the last/first characters of the title.
In v0.9.4 the titles are centered when the item boxes are totally visible
but when part of the item scrolls out of view the title does not stay in
the box. In extreme cases the title can be to the right of the item box (I
haven't seen it to the left).
Or the title scrolls out of view.
I reverted to default behavior.
Ton Gerner
2015-05-24 09:29:26 UTC
Hi kixam,

It took me some time to upgrade your plugin(s). Just for the record (and
maybe other people encounter the same problems), this is what I noticed/did:

I first noticed you now use a version v0.6.0 (coming from v0.9.4) but then
I realized it is not "$:/plugins/emkay/visjs" anymore but
"$:/plugins/kixam/timeline".
Installing the 0.6.0 version did give me the wellknown red Javascript error.
I then realized there was a newer version of $:/plugins/felixhayashi/vis.
Installing the newer version did not help: red Javascript error.
At last I noticed you did split your plugin in 2 parts: moment.js is now in
a separate plugin.
After installing $:/plugins/kixam/moment it did work again.

Post by kixam
Post by Ton Gerner
height, it is up to the user how it will be displayed.
At the moment I prefer the automatic way and stay with v0.9.2 for the
time being.
I added an option to let you choose.
Nice.
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fvisjs.org%2Fdocs%2Ftimeline%2F%23Styles&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGBNfSabRkQx2VFAHBW1sz0jkYC6g>
and http://tiddlywiki.com/#Using%20Stylesheets
Ah, I did not know about http://visjs.org/docs/timeline/#Styles
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fvisjs.org%2Fdocs%2Ftimeline%2F%23Styles&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGBNfSabRkQx2VFAHBW1sz0jkYC6g>
I'll have a look

Post by kixam
this for vis.js networks. If the navpad is present, its "up" and "down"
buttons will only show when appropriate. This was quite some reverse
engineering as I expected, and I am not satisfied with the result because
it tweaks vis.js too much and thus might become buggy in the next releases,
but enjoy for now.
The navpad will be nice for first-time users I think. Once you know you can
zoom, scroll & drag you don't need it.
Post by kixam
I reverted to default behavior.
That's good.
Thanks a lot.

Ton
kixam
2015-05-24 10:27:03 UTC
Hi Ton,
Post by Ton Gerner
It took me some time to upgrade your plugin(s). Just for the record (and
if you want to use my plugins, you have to first uninstall emkay's
then, all you need is explained and available on the new demo site at:
http://kixam.github.io/TW5-visjsTimeline/
Felix Küppers
2015-05-22 11:47:38 UTC
Post by kixam
I am thinking of using the nice nav buttons from felixhayashi's
tiddlymap though, but first I would rather they would be included in
the vis.js plugin instead, if possible. I may look into it but it
seems not very easy.
Anything vis.js ships with is included in the vis.js plugin. But they
only integrate the buttons for the network module not timeline . If you
have a look at http://visjs.org/timeline_examples.html there is one
example named "navigation menu". Maybe this is what you want?

http://visjs.org/examples/timeline/16_navigation_menu.html

-Felix
kixam
2015-05-22 13:04:14 UTC
Hi Felix,
Post by Felix Küppers
http://visjs.org/examples/timeline/16_navigation_menu.html
Thanks! That should get me started.
Felix Küppers
2015-05-22 15:44:25 UTC
Hi kixam,

Martin (Emkay) replied to my private message and kindly added a BSD
license to his repo just a few minutes ago. So its all good now :)

-Felix

Hello,

Thank you for informing me. Changes in my life mean I have been unable
to carry the visjs timeline forward.

I am happy with the github Terms of Service allowing anyone to fork the
project, but for anyone uncomfortable with this I have just added a BSD
license.

All the best,
Ed Dixon
2015-05-25 10:20:16 UTC
So if I am understanding things correct;y we can now have both the maps and
the time lines? That would be awesome Felix as you know I have long sought
to include a mind map feature in my notebook design but also having a time
line of thise entries would be icing on the cake if this is now possible!
Is that feature included in your current repo? Thanks guys for your efforts
here!
kixam
2015-05-25 10:46:33 UTC
Hi Ed,
Post by Ed Dixon
So if I am understanding things correct;y we can now have both the maps
and the time lines? That would be awesome Felix as you know I have long
sought to include a mind map feature in my notebook design but also having
a time line of thise entries would be icing on the cake if this is now
possible! Is that feature included in your current repo? Thanks guys for
your efforts here!
Yes you are correct. To get both maps and timeline, you will need the
following plugins:

From Felix's website at http://felixhayashi.github.io/TW5-TiddlyMap:
- TiddlyMap
- Visjs (needed both for maps and timeline)

From my website at http://kixam.github.io/TW5-visjsTimeline:
- vis.js Timeline
- moment.js
(- Felix's Visjs plugin is also available there)

Enjoy ;) and please report bugs or feature requests:
- to Felix for maps
- to me for timeline
Felix Küppers
2015-05-25 12:30:03 UTC
Hi Ed,

yes, I am also really glad kixam decided to pick up and improve the
timeline module (that emkay originally started) which is a great addition!
Please have a look and follow his github repo to get more information
about the newly revived timeline plugin :)

-Felix