[twdev] [TW5] ThirdFlow plugin v1.0.5 with new features...
TheDiveO
2014-10-15 19:12:02 UTC
This new release (https://github.com/TheDiveO/ThirdFlow/releases/tag/v.1.0.5)
comes with a bunch of new things you hopefully enjoy as much as we do!
Visit http://thediveo.github.io/ThirdFlow/ for some nice screenshots of
what is new.

- a new "Plugin Sources" UI in the sidebar under the "More" tab. Lists
only plugins and their original source code tiddlers.
- an enhanced file system sync adaptor that is now configurable through
its own control panel UI extension, under the new tab File Storage.
- configure the folder names for system tiddlers and drafts.
- organize your tiddlers neatly into their own subfolders based on
tags. Unfortunately, tag priority cannot be controlled at this time.
- more editing and highlight support.
- towards a (mostly) unified syntax highlighting in both static
rendering as well as when editing tiddlers.
- added more codemirror features: current line highlighting, CSS
syntax support.
- added support for TW5's native ~JavaScript storage format when
creating JavaScript tiddlers directly inside TiddlyWiki 5. Tiddler
meta-data gets correctly inserted into a (special) comment section.

Known issue: at the moment I'm not using an updated codemirror plugin but
instead use the stock one and supply more support files as part of my
plugin. I would like to have the stuff moved into the core distribution
though.
TheDiveO
2014-10-21 18:42:16 UTC
I've fixed a bug in the config UI and upgraded the documentation. Get it
here: https://github.com/TheDiveO/ThirdFlow/releases as usual.

Enjoy!
Danielo Rodríguez
2014-10-21 21:20:13 UTC
Seems that tag order can now be controlled. Is that right?
TheDiveO
2014-10-22 06:45:33 UTC
Yes, that's now possible.
Danielo Rodríguez
2014-10-23 17:43:26 UTC
Hello theDiveO

I'm trying your plugin. Thank you very much for such a cool tool. Including
a skeleton makes life much easir because setting up the folder structure
was a little deal-breaker. A couple of doubts and suggestions:
1) How should I create javascript tiddlers to be saved as .js file instead
of js.tid file?
2) Would you consider to add a button "create plugin tiddler" that will
create a new tiddler with the basic plugin name already set as title?
3) The same as previous but with new widget with all the required fields
already filled up
4) Is there any chance to create plugin tiddlers out of system folder? I
wold like to have just a plugins folder at the root of the wiki.

Thank you very much for such a great tool!!
TheDiveO
2014-10-23 19:22:34 UTC
Hi Danielo,
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
1) How should I create javascript tiddlers to be saved as .js file instead
of js.tid file?
Simply create a new tiddler and set its "type" to "application/javascript".
Adding .js to the title is not strictly necessary, but common practice. The
sync adaptor will automatically understand from the "type" that it should
save your tiddler in a plain .js file with the meta data fields added to
the special comment at the beginning of your tiddler.

At the moment you will only be able to see this automatic inserting when
you restart the server and then reload in the browser. However, you both
don't need to do so.
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
2) Would you consider to add a button "create plugin tiddler" that will
create a new tiddler with the basic plugin name already set as title?
That's a nice idea, I'll investigate further. I'm thinking along the lines
of adding a plugin edit view part as a more convenient form to edit plugin
meta data.
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
3) The same as previous but with new widget with all the required fields
already filled up
Oh, that's much more difficult. Most fields don't have a universal default
value and I'm really bad at programming mind reading software. ;) But I
could add some helpful input field hints and short expanations to the edit
form for plugins.
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
4) Is there any chance to create plugin tiddlers out of system folder? I
wold like to have just a plugins folder at the root of the wiki.
Yes, this is already possible. Nothing prevents you from "littering" around
"$:/". It is just that the "sources" sidebar tab currently only looks into
$:/plugins/ as Jeremy designated this branch as the namespace to use for
general "third-party" plugins. If you should happen to worry about
unwieldly plugin names (which I can perfectly understand), then it may help
you that the "sources" sidebar tab already shortens the source tiddler
titles to make them more readable.

Anyway, your question sparks another idea: I'll add "new tiddler here"
buttons to the "sources" sidebar tab that should make it easier to create
new tiddlers as part of your plugin project.

Thank you very much for such a great tool!!
Glad to hear that you're liking it! You're welcome.

Regards,
TheDiveO
Danielo Rodríguez
2014-10-23 20:12:32 UTC
This is all that I can comment at the moment
Post by TheDiveO
Post by Danielo Rodríguez
3) The same as previous but with new widget with all the required fields
already filled up
Oh, that's much more difficult. Most fields don't have a universal default
value and I'm really bad at programming mind reading software. ;) But I
could add some helpful input field hints and short expanations to the edit
form for plugins.
Well, is just a matter of creating a basic tiddler with the module-type
field filled and the plugin name+widgets as default. This can be done for
other tricky TW configurations that most of the people does not do
correctly because they are "harder". I'm talking about creating buttons. A
single button needs:

- An icon tiddler
- A button tiddler with the appropriate tag, some list to select icon or
text and to show or hide it, a description field and a caption field.
- A caption tiddler for lingo
- A description tiddler for lingo

Maybe your "create a new button tiddler" can ask for button name and create
all those tiddlers with the appropriate prefix names (I'm horrible
following naming conventions) and open them for editing. Just an idea.
Maybe this can be packet into a different plugin, but within the same
project. Your choice.

Regards
TheDiveO
2014-10-23 20:50:48 UTC
Hm, this is different from what I thought you were asking for. So we are
rather discussing plugin project creation wizzards. This most probably
calls for a pluggable wizzard system (now this meta, again). I haven't yet
done button plugins, so I'll need some time to understand what would be
required.
Danielo Rodríguez
2014-10-23 21:28:42 UTC
Post by TheDiveO
Hm, this is different from what I thought you were asking for. So we are
rather discussing plugin project creation wizzards. This most probably
calls for a pluggable wizzard system (now this meta, again). I haven't yet
done button plugins, so I'll need some time to understand what would be
required.
Ok, follow whatever idea I gave to you, probably is a good one :P

I found another problem using your developing system. The way I used to
pack plugins was putting all the required tiddlers under the same plugin
folder and then creating a plugin.info file. This way the "plugin tiddler"
(the tiddler with all the required tiddlers) was automatically created by
tiddlywiki. This is not working in your current configuration. Do you have
any idea why? Should I add those files manually?

Thanks for your great help.
TheDiveO
2014-10-24 06:31:38 UTC
Please don't use plugin.info. It's not required in this setup and it will
interfere with the single source setup. Plugin.info is nice if you develop
along the process that Jeremy envisioned: separate source tiddler trees.
This is where this excels. But in a single source process I don't see how
this fits in or is necessary.

For releasing a plugin please use the release script after you adapted it
to your needs. In the future, I plan to provide an fully automated packing
(if possible) that won't require manual adaption anymore.

Regards,
TheDiveO
Danielo Rodríguez
2014-10-24 11:17:14 UTC
This is weird.

Before reading your answer I tried to run the release script and it worked
(after correcting some uppercase issues). Well, it worked for the tid file,
because the html page was totally blank. Maybe this is caused because te
plugin.info. The "problem" (not problem at all) that I was trying to
express is that when I open the plugin tiddler on the develop version, what
I expect to see is all the implied tiddlers listed. But instead that I see
nothing. That have confused me.

I don't understand why the plugin.info is only recommended for separate
source tiddler trees.In fact I don't know what does that mean, but I used
it in all my plugin developments and it worked as I described before: Just
creating the plugin tiddlers with the appropriate naming, rebooting the
server edition and the plugin got packed automatically. If this is not
intended in your flow it is ok, but I just wanted to know.

Thank you again. Keep going with this!
TheDiveO
2014-10-24 21:22:25 UTC
Plugin.info is a means to implicitly wrap and package a tiddler files tree
into a plugin. If you use it on your main source tree that is listed in
tiddlywiki.info then you are aliasing the same tiddlers with themselves.
Both as an ordinary and a shadow tiddler. This works to some extent but
will also have some rather unexpected consequences. Thus, don't do it.
There's a reason that ordinary tiddlers live in a tiddlers folder while
plugin sources live in plugins.

Either pull in tiddlers packaged in a plugin through the plugin.info
mechanism or use the tiddlywiki.info mechanism and thus ordinary tiddlers.
Despite this it is still possible to use both mechanisms on the same
project, but you need to have a clear understanding of what is going on in
order to correctly set up different editions. Buuut, this is really tough
stuff.

Regards,
TheDiveO